dublin.de
Politics & Government

Dublin City Hall

Georgian showpiece with a grand rotunda

Dublin City Hall on Dame Street, built in 1769 as the Royal Exchange. Magnificent rotunda, free admission. Opening hours, directions and visitor tips.

Looking down Dame Street towards Dublin City Hall
Contents

City Hall on Dame Street is one of Dublin's most important Georgian buildings and marks the start of neoclassical architecture in Ireland. Behind its imposing facade lie a magnificent rotunda and a multimedia exhibition on the city's history — both free to visit. Just a few steps from Dublin Castle, it's an easy addition to a walk through the historic centre.

Architecture and interior

Thomas Cooley (1740–1784) won the architectural competition in 1769 at the age of 29, beating 60 other entries — including one from his more famous rival James Gandon, who later designed the Custom House and the Four Courts. Construction cost £58,000, of which £40,000 was raised through public lotteries.

The building's centrepiece is the rotunda, a circular entrance hall beneath an imposing dome. Twelve Corinthian columns of Portland stone, each 9.8 metres tall, support the structure. The ornate capitals were carved by the German stonemason Simon Vierpyl, and the stuccowork is the work of Charles Thorpe, who later became Lord Mayor.

The marble floor, with its circular mosaic of the city's coat of arms, was laid in 1898 to a design by city architect Charles J. McCarthy. The twelve colourful murals beneath the dome were painted between 1914 and 1919 by James Ward, director of the Metropolitan School of Art, together with his students — among them the artists Harry Clarke and Seán Keating, who both went on to great acclaim. Eight of the paintings depict scenes from the city's history, and four show the coats of arms of the Irish provinces of Ulster, Leinster, Connacht and Munster.

History and political significance

The building was erected between 1769 and 1779 as the Royal Exchange, serving Dublin's merchants as a trading floor and meeting place. After the Act of Union in 1800, Dublin lost economic standing and the exchange ceased operating. Daniel O'Connell delivered his famous speech against the Act of Union here.

In 1851 Dublin Corporation acquired the by-then dilapidated building and had it converted into its administrative headquarters. The first city council meeting under the new name City Hall took place on 30 September 1852. In 1995 the city administration moved to the modern Civic Offices at Wood Quay. Following a thorough restoration between 1998 and 2000, the building was returned to its original 18th-century appearance and opened to the public.

During the 1916 Easter Rising, the Irish Citizen Army under Seán Connolly occupied the building. Constable James O'Brien, on duty at Dublin Castle, became the Rising's first fatality in the fighting that followed. After a twelve-hour engagement, the rebels were forced to surrender. City Hall has also hosted significant lyings-in-state: the bodies of Michael Collins and Jeremiah O'Donovan Rossa both lay in the rotunda. Readers wanting the wider context can find it in the guide Dublin's History.

The exhibition on the city's history

In the basement vaults, a multimedia exhibition traces the city's history from the Viking age to the present day. Exhibits include the city seal, the Great Mace of Dublin, the city sword, and one of the original 1916 Proclamation documents — a gift to the citizens of Dublin from the family of Elizabeth O'Farrell.

You can explore the rotunda freely — simply looking up into the dome at the twelve historic murals makes the detour worthwhile. No guided tour is needed; the visit is self-guided.

Visiting and practicalities

Allow around 30 to 45 minutes for the rotunda and exhibition. Admission is free, and there's no ticket or online booking to arrange — none is required.

  • Opening hours: Monday to Saturday 10:00–17:00. Closed on Sundays, on Irish bank holidays, and during private functions and weddings.
  • Entrances: main door on Dame Street, west door on Castle Street, and a side entrance at Barnardo Square.
  • Accessibility: accessible toilets and a lift from the lower ground floor. AsIAm-certified autism-friendly, with a sensory map, sensory kits and a quiet space available on request.
  • Contact: 01 222 2204, [email protected].

City Hall sits at the junction of Dame Street and Parliament Street, about a five-minute walk from Trinity College. Bus routes 27, 54a, 56A, 77A, 123 and 150 stop nearby, along with the Luas Red Line at Jervis or Four Courts, the Luas Green Line at St Stephen's Green, and the DART at Tara Street or Pearse Street. Right next door is the Temple Bar nightlife district; for more ideas for your day, see the overview of Dublin attractions.

Frequently asked questions

How much does it cost to visit Dublin City Hall?+
Admission is free. The building, the rotunda, the murals and the exhibition on the city's history are all accessible without a separate ticket. No ticket or online booking is required.
When is Dublin City Hall open?+
Monday to Saturday from 10:00 to 17:00. It stays closed on Sundays, on Irish bank holidays, and during private functions, weddings and events.
How do I get to Dublin City Hall?+
City Hall is on Dame Street, about a 5-minute walk from Trinity College. Bus routes 27, 54a, 56A, 77A, 123 and 150 stop nearby, along with the Luas Red Line at Jervis or Four Courts and the DART at Tara Street or Pearse Street.
Is Dublin City Hall accessible?+
Yes. There are accessible toilets and a lift from the lower ground floor. The building is AsIAm-certified autism-friendly, with a sensory map, sensory kits and a quiet space available on request.

Nearby